Edward U. (Ned) Babb Contact Details :
- Knoxville, Tennessee
- (865) 637-3385
Edward (Ned) Babb was born in Knoxville, Tennessee. He attended the University of Virginia (B.A., 1986) and the University of Tennessee (J.D., with honors, 1989), and was admitted to the Tennessee bar in 1989. He was the Assistant Editor, 1987-1988 and Articles Editor, 1988-1989, for the Tennessee Law Review. Ned is a member of the Knoxville and Tennessee Bar Associations. He is also a member of the Tennessee Supreme Court, the United States District Court for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Tennessee, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Ned practices exclusively out of the East Tennessee (Knoxville) office of Butler, Vines and Babb. His practice consists primarily of general litigation with a focus on representing insurance companies, their insureds, and large corporations.
In the early years of his practice, in addition to trial work, Mr. Babb worked extensively on products liability appellate matters in support of the firm’s representation of asbestos manufacturers throughout the southeastern United States. Mr. Babb has argued cases before the Tennessee Supreme Court, the Tennessee Court of Appeals, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit involving insurance coverage, workers’ compensation, social host/dram shop liability, fire loss, and other subjects.
Mr. Babb has tried cases in over twenty counties across East and Middle Tennessee involving numerous areas of the law including automobile liability, products liability, premises liability, professional liability, insurance coverage, and workers’ compensation, as well as involving business and contract disputes.
Mr. Babb has lectured on multiple occasions to general audiences and to individual clients on topics including general litigation practices and procedures, Tennessee tort law, workers’ compensation, uninsured motorist law, and bad faith in insurance claims.
Mr. Babb has been honored by his peers, being named one of the best automobile attorneys in Knoxville and one of the best insurance law attorneys in Knoxville. He has been named a Master of the Bench by the Hamilton Burnette Chapter of the American Inns of Court and has been selected as a member of the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance.
Ned and his wife Virginia are also busy raising their son Will and twin daughters Helen and Elizabeth. Ned loves sports and can regularly be found coaching sports teams of his children, playing basketball, or running (He has completed the Knoxville Marathon). You might also find Ned working in his yard or sitting in a duck blind. His children are less enthusiastic in joining their father in yard work than they are other family activities such as snow skiing, camping, and swimming at the beach. Though parenthood has covered his golf game with a thick coat of rust, Ned might still join you for a round on the links if the situation arises.
- General Insurance Defense
- Automobile Liability
- Pharmacy Law
- Products Liability
- Veterinary Malpractice
- Workers’ Compensation Defense
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Tennessee, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 1990
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1990
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee
J.D. – 1989
Honors: With Honors
Law Review: Tennessee Law Review, Assistant Editor, 1987 – 1988
Law Review: Tennessee Law Review, Articles Editor, 1988 – 1989
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
B.A. – 1986
- Dixson v. Atlantic Soft Drink Co., 980 S.W.2d 200 (Tenn. Ct. App. 1998)
- James v. S.G. Wells, W.L. 901474 (Tenn. 1994)
- Tennessee Workers’ Compensation Law: Recognizing and Reacting to Workers’ Compensation Claims – Defense Perspective,
- Professional Education Systems, Inc., December 15, 1995
- Civil Practice Tips and Civil Motion Practice, Knoxville Bar Association, November 18, 1998
- Litigation 101 and Litigation 102, Council on Litigation Management , August 6, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Knoxville Bar Association, Member
- Tennessee Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- American Inns of Court, Master of the Bench
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance , Member
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Sigma Pi