Verdicts, Settlements & Success Stories: Business & Defense
- The firm provides representation in regard to claims of toxic exposure.
James Wright has successfully defended a multiple party lawsuit claiming exposure to mold in a work environment. The Plaintiffs have filed a notice of voluntary dismissal.
- Butler, Vines and Babb was retained recently to handle the appeal of a $780,000 judgment. On Appeal the Court of Appeal REVERSED the judgment. This was a construction case involving an injured worker on a construction site. Issues included the Tennessee One Call Statute. Also, the Court of Appeals excluded portions of the plaintiff’s expert testimony.
- Butler, Vines and Babb was retained to defend a multiple death tractor trailer accident. The demand was over 12 million dollars. The case was tried over a significant period of time. At the conclusion of all of the proof the plaintiff elected to dismiss their case with out prejudice rather than letting the jury rule. Interviews with the jury showed that they were prepared to return a defense verdict in light of an accident with a tractor-trailer.
- Butler, Vines and Babb attorneys have tried and won asbestos personal injury cases in 13 states. Those cases have included asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma claims. The plaintiffs’ attorneys in each of the cases involved asked for over five million dollars in damages for each case.
- Butler, Vines and Babb successfully defended Teledyne Economic Development Company in a wrongful death claim. Plaintiff claimed a student was brutally murdered by three other students. Plaintiff’s complaint alleged that Teledyne’s recruiter negligently misrepresented the conditions of the local facility. Defendant’s Motion for Summary Judgment was filed. Trial court found “that the plaintiff has failed to come forward with sufficient evidence to create a genuine issue of material fact as to the existence of a duty on the part of Teledyne, a breach of that duty even if one existed, or that anything that Teledyne did or did not do was the proximate cause of the murder. Therefore, the court finds that defendant Teledyne’s motion for summary judgment will be granted and the complaint against Teledyne will be dismissed.
The court commends the parties for the excellent briefs they presented to the court on this motion for summary judgment.“Leon Jordan, United States District Judge.
- Butler, Vines and Babb successfully defended an arson case in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee. The case was tried for five days and the jury returned a verdict in favor of our client. Our attorney’s hard work and trial expertise saved the client over a million dollars in possible claims.
- Butler, Vines and Babb successfully defended a product liability case wherein a railroad tanker car had split in half and allegedly caused exposure to carbon disulfide. After a three day bench trial, the Court ruled in favor of our client Akzo Nobel.
- Butler, Vines and Babb successfully mediated a wrongful death case on behalf of a tractor trailer company. The defendant fully expected the case to settle for approximately $3.5 million. Through the meticulous efforts of the attorneys at Butler, Vines and Babb, the case was successfully settled for $1.8 million.
- Butler, Vines and Babb successfully argued a motion for summary judgment in a wrongful termination case. The plaintiff appealed to the Court of Appeals. The Court of Appeals opinion affirmed the trial court’s granting of the motion for summary judgment filed on behalf of the defendant. The client indicated that the result of this case did not necessitate a trial but that in his experience “the ability to consistently achieve efficient, positive results, whether through motion practice, settlement or trial, is a sure sign that the attorney is a true trial lawyer and a genuine professional”.
- Butler, Vines and Babb had the opportunity to represent three Irish students who were involved in a motor vehicle accident in Sevier County, Tennessee. After depositions were taken in Ireland, the case was successfully mediated.
- Butler, Vines and Babb defended a Fortune 500 company in Columbia, South Carolina in a wrongful death asbestos product liability case. The jury returned a verdict which was less than the credit the client received from the other settling defendants contributing to settlement.
- Edward U. Babb successfully defended a corporation in a case in which the plaintiff claimed that he had contracted silicosis and lung cancer as a result of exposure to silica sand. The trial court granted summary judgment in favor of our products liability defendants and the Tennessee Court of Appeals affirmed summary judgment.
- Edward U. Babb successfully represented the lessor of a medical device in a wrongful death action in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee by obtaining summary judgment on behalf of his client.
Verdicts or settlements discussed herein are not intended to create an unjustified expectation about results the lawyer or law firm can achieve or imply that the firm can achieve similar results in future litigation.