A birth injury is the name given to damage to a newborn during birth caused by a mistake, negligence, malpractice, or inefficiency from a doctor, nurse, or other medical professionals. It is a type of personal injury that falls under medical malpractice. There are many different types of birth injuries ranging from minor injuries with no lasting injuries to more significant ones that result in permanent disability or even death. If you encounter these types of injuries during your child’s birth, you need a birth injury lawyer in Knoxville to guide you through filing a lawsuit.
What Are The Most Common Birth Injuries in the United States?
Many different birth injuries could result in you seeking a birth injury lawyer in Knoxville to guide you through your case. Some of the most common types of birth injury include the following:
- Cerebral Palsy – In the event of oxygen deprivation during labor or delivery, it is common for Cerebral Palsy to occur. This condition impacts muscle strength, movement, posture, and muscle tone.
- Erb’s Palsy – An injury to the brachial plexus nerves can cause Erb’s Palsy or shoulder palsy. It is often caused by the careless handling of the baby during delivery.
- Brain Injury – Oxygen deprivation can result in various brain injuries, including epilepsy, neurodegenerative diseases, and even death.
- Spinal Cord Injury – If a child’s spinal cord is damaged during delivery, it can result in a permanent disability. As with Erb’s Palsy, Spinal Cord Injury is often the result of forceful or incorrect handling during birth.
- Minor Injuries – It is also common for minor injuries such as bruising, fractures, and caput succedaneum. You may not necessarily engage the services of a birth injury lawyer in Knoxville for a minor injury.
Raising a Birth Injury Lawsuit
If your child has suffered a birth injury, then you may be able to file a lawsuit. If this is something that you would like to pursue, then you will need to hire a birth injury lawyer in Knoxville. You will want someone who is experienced in this type of case so that they can secure the appropriate level of damages for your child’s injuries.
It is important that the extent to which the injury has impacted their physical, mental, emotional, and emotional health is considered. A birth injury lawyer in Knoxville can help you assess the ongoing impact this will have on your child and your family. It may be possible to seek damages to cover things like:
- Medical Expenses
- Adaptive Technologies
- Modifications to Your Home
- Rehabilitation Costs
- Special Schooling or Additional Care
- Pain & Suffering
Butler, Vines and Babb is a leading law firm in Knoxville, TN, with extensive litigation experience in Medical Malpractice Law, Birth Injury Law, Trucking Accident Law, Personal Injury Law, and Business Law. Contact us today at
www.bvblaw.com or call 865-637-3531.
Please reference BV&B’s content disclaimer (located in this channel’s profile description) in regard to this shared content.